Do you frequently feel gassy? If so, it could be extremely uncomfortable. You must have heard that sometimes gas causes chest pain and headache, which needs to be resolved immediately. In the same way, if your gas problem is bothering you more than usual, you may wonder how to stop farting. Let us find out!
Health Shots spoke to Dr J Satyanarayana, Senior General Physician, Kamineni Hospitals, Hyderabad, to understand what causes you to keep farting and how you can stop it.
Know why are you farting too much
Dr Satyanarayana says, “Lack of appropriate chewing, carbonated beverages, or illnesses like type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, or liver disease that might increase these bacteria can all contribute to excessive farting. However, farting is not a cause for concern. If your flatulence is worse than usual, you need to watch what you eat.”
Here are a few things that can cause you fart to much
Eating less is always better. Slowing down the rate at which your digestive system functions is one of the best things you can do for your digestion and weight. Why? Because you might eat less because you might feel satisfied for longer. And if you continue to overeat, get ready for farting problems.
2. Not chewing your food
Along with eating less, eating in a nice way is really crucial. Chew well, take your time and eat. If you eat quickly, there are chances of getting more air into the body which can make you gassy.
Smoking a lot of cigarettes is also a cause of gas. Constipation is more common in people with this habit. Due to this there are chances of increased flatulence.
4. Consumption of these foods
Cut back on fatty foods, avoid fizzy drinks, limit the intake of foods that are to digest and therefore cause gas such as beans, dairy products, whole grains, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, sodas, fruits, hard candy, onions. Also, avoid sweeteners that cause gas such as fructose and sorbitol.
5. Medical conditions
There are a few medical conditions that can also lead to excessive farting which includes irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, lactose intolerance, eating disorders and Crohn’s diseases.
Here are 5 ways to stop farting too much:
1. Increase fluid intake
Try to drink as much water as you can. Eat lassi and curd as part of your diet. This will successfully prevent gas formation while calming your digestive system.
We only see clove as a pungent spice. But it has many medicinal properties that protect it from the burden of diseases. If you make tea with cloves and drink it, you can stop various infections. Drinking a cup of tea made with cloves before meals can relieve problems like indigestion or stomach discomfort and bloating. Having carminative properties, this tea relieves problems like flatulence. It also relieves pain in the abdomen.
3. Carom seeds
Carom seeds contain a substance called thymol. It secretes acid which aids in digestion. So if you want to prevent flatulence from eating food, boil 1/2 teaspoon of carom seeds in water and drink the water daily.
Also, read: Why do your farts smell so bad? 5 foods to blame
Probiotic foods such as yogurt and kefir are known to improve digestion. All thanks to the power of producing good bacteria. It can help with several digestive issues such as bloating, constipation, diarrhoea and even farting.
The chamomile plant’s volatile oils have a carminative effect, which causes the digestive tract’s gas to be broken up. A cup of chamomile tea may help to reduce bloating and relieve gas.
Here are 10 other tips to keep in mind to avoid farts:
- Avoid eating foods that you know usually causes you to fart a lot
- Instead of overeating, try to eat more frequently and smaller meals throughout the day.
- Along with a healthy diet, you need to also follow a regular workout routine for at least 30 minutes a day to prevent gas build up.
- Fatty foods are known to slow down the digestion so eat fuel fatty foods.
- Avoid smoking, and use chewing gum to get rid of your smoking habit.
- Do not drink carbonated beverages such as soda or beer. Instead drink something healthy.
- Avoid consuming excess sugar. When it is unable to be digested and absorbed by the body, excess sugar is left to sit and ferment in the bowels. Gas can accumulate as a result of this.
- Limit intake of cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts and asparagus.
- Avoid suffering from constipation regularly because it is a major cause behind too much farting.
- Talk to your doctor to review your medicine.