Sometimes, going natural is the best way to take care of our hair. In fact today, a number of brands offer natural hair care products and onion is one of the most commonly used ingredients. But what if you were to use onion for beauty at home? Well, here’s how to use onion juice for hair.
Onion is a staple part of most Indian kitchens. They are more useful than you think. Apart from improving the taste and texture of the dish, onions can also benefit the hair by improving hair growth and reducing hair fall. It can be used to add volume to the hair and regular use can prevent hair fall as well.
To find out how to use onion juice for hair growth and prevent several hair issues, Health Shots spoke to Dr Rinky Kapoor, Consultant Dermatologist, Cosmetic Dermatologist and Dermato-Surgeon, The Esthetic Clinics.
Is onion good for hair?
Dr Kapoor says, “Onions are rich in zinc, sulphur, enzyme catalase (antioxidant), folic acid, vitamin C, E, B, phosphorus, potassium, and other essential nutrients that make the humble onion very effective in fighting fungal infections, improving hair growth cycle, improving hair health, reviving sleeping follicles and keep the scalp clean and healthy.”
In some recent years, onion has become so popular as a hair care ingredient that even markets are flooded with products containing onion juice, with promising results. The best way to use this natural, safe, affordable, and simple hair care ingredient is to make onion hair masks at home.
Here are 3 onion hair masks that will resolve all your hair problems, according to Dr Kapoor:
1. Honey and onion juice mask
This pack helps the hair retain moisture by acting as a natural conditioner and strengthens hair follicles therefore it can prevent hair damage and dryness.
- Make the mask by mixing one tablespoon of good quality honey with half a cup of fresh onion juice.
- Apply on the scalp and hair length and massage gently.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Wash with mild shampoo and conditioner.
You can use it once a week.
2. Onion juice and ginger mask
This pack is anti-inflammatory and improves blood circulation. That’s why it is great for promoting hair growth.
- According to your hair length, take equal portions of ginger and onion juice and blend well.
- Apply this combination to your scalp and massage well.
- Leave it on for about an hour before washing with mild shampoo and conditioner.
Use this hair pack every alternating day.
3. Coconut oil and onion juice
There is no questioning the effectiveness of coconut oil for hair. This mask helps repair the follicles, and heals the scalp from within. For overall hair health, this hair mask is good.
- Blend coconut oil and onion juice in the ratio of 1:1.
- Apply on scalp and hair length.
- Leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash with gentle shampoo and conditioner.
- Use this hair mask once or twice a week.
Tip: Since onion juice can be runny, don’t forget to put a towel on your shoulders to protect the clothes or you can also a shower cap to cover your hair. Also check for allergies before using onion juice on your scalp.