Has it ever happened to you that you have had a good night’s rest and yet you wake up extremely tired and your head lolls the entire day? This can be a sign that you are suffering from hypersomnia where a person sleeps more than 9 hours in a 24-hour period and still feels groggy the entire day. If you want to know how to control oversleeping, read on!
Getting some minimum hours of sleep a day is very important for maintaining good health, but when a person starts to oversleep then it can become a cause of illness. Getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep every day is considered sufficient for a healthy mind and body. But there are some people who keep falling asleep all the time. This not only has a negative effect on their functioning the next day, but it can also have a very bad effect on their health in the long run. Therefore, it is necessary that it should be controlled. Here are some super effective tips on how to stop oversleeping.
How much sleep does a healthy body need?
Recent studies have shown that everyone’s sleep needs differ according to their age. According to the National Sleep Foundation, who needs how much sleep according to age.
* 0-3 months – 14 to 17 hours
* 4-11 months -12 to 15 hours
* 1-2 years – 11 to 14 hours
* 3-5 years – 10 to 13 hours
* 6-13 years – 9 to 11 hours
* 14-17 years – 8 to 10 hours
* 18-64 years – 7 to 9 hours
* Over 65 years- 7 to 8 hours
What can be the reasons for oversleeping?
Not getting enough sleep at night: Working the night shift, watching TV or reading late at night, etc. can lead to hypersomnia.
Because of the weather: Due to the chills in the winter season sleep can be repeatedly disturbed at night. The same can happen in the summer season as well. Lack of a deep sleep leads to the feeling of sleepiness the next day.
Anxiety or stress: Some people do not sleep well at night due to stress and hence, they are tired the next day. A good night’s sleep is very important for a healthy sleep.
Taking medicines: Allergies and taking sleeping medicine can affect sleep patterns. Taking drugs can also be a reason for. oversleeping.
Consumption of alcohol: Alcohol consumption can also be one of the reasons for oversleeping.
Caffeinated drinks: People who consume tea or coffee can affect their sleep cycle. This can also be a reason why you are oversleeping.
Presence of a serious illness: Nocturnal asthma, hypothyroid, esophageal reflux, etc. can cause hypersomnia.
Sleep disorders: Restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea, sleepwalking, stress etc. can disturb your sleep patterns.
There are various types of oversleeping conditions:
1. Narcolepsy Type-1: Narcolepsy Type-1 is a type of sleep disorder, which affects sleep patterns. A person suffering from this may have the problem of oversleeping during the day even after getting enough sleep at night. This problem can be caused by reduced hypothalamic hypocretin neurons present in the brain or due to cataplexy.
2. Narcolepsy Type-2: This is also a type of hypersomnia, which is commonly seen in adolescents. Just like narcolepsy type-1, in this condition also the person complains about feeling sleepy all the time. It just doesn’t have the problem of cataplexy. For this reason it can also be considered as the first stage of narcolepsy type 1. People suffering from this can feel refreshed by taking a nap during the day.
3. Idiopathic Hypersomnia: People with idiopathic hypersomnia also feel sleepy throughout the day despite getting enough sleep at night. In this, the person has absolutely no control over his sleep cycle. Unlike the people suffering from narcolepsy, people suffering from this condition are not able to feel refreshed even after taking a nap.
4. Klein-Levin syndrome: This is also a type of hypersomnia, which is rare. Mainly this disease can affect adolescent males. People suffering from this can sleep for 20 hours straight, and they wake up just to eat and fall asleep again. This condition can be bothersome for a few weeks or months. The main reason behind this can be considered the disturbances related to cognitive, behavioral and mental conditions.
Some super effective ways to beat oversleeping:
1. Coffee: Coffee is a good solution to fight off grogginess. According to research on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), caffeine is found in coffee. Caffeine consumption directly affects the brain system. It is known to increase the activity of the brain and nervous system. It can help to relieve us from feeling tired and sleepy.
2. Water: According to research, drinking less water can cause tiredness in the body, make you lose concentration and make you feel sleepy all the time. In such a situation, drinking enough water throughout the day can prove to be beneficial.
3. Exercise: One of the major causes of hypersomnia is obesity. In such a situation, a person suffering from hypersomnia can do any type of exercise for 30 minutes to an hour daily. With this, the person can feel refreshed along with keeping their weight under control.
4. Shower: When your body feels tired, you start feeling sleepy. In such a situation, taking a shower can turn out to be helpful. Bathing refreshes your mood and helps you feel refreshed and active. Thus, taking a shower can give some relief from the fatigue caused due to too much sleep.
5. Take a nap: Taking a short nap when you feel sleepy can also be helpful in keeping you away from sleep. In fact, a short nap can be helpful in eliminating lethargy and drowsiness along with eliminating sleepiness. Research suggests that a short nap can provide benefits such as sharpening your memory as well as enhance your working capacity.