Man hurls petrol bombs at migrant centre in Dover before taking his own life, claim witnesses 


A man threw petrol bombs attached with fireworks at a centre for processing migrants in the southern English port of Dover today and then killed himself, witnesses said.

The attacker, a white man in a striped top, drove up to the centre in a white SEAT sports utility vehicle. 

He got out and threw three petrol bombs, one of which did not go off, a photographer said.

He then drove to a nearby petrol station and killed himself, it was said. Police arrived minutes afterwards and cordoned off the area.

The incident came after almost 1,000 migrants arrived in the UK after crossing the Channel on Saturday.

The attacker was described as a white man in a striped top, who drove up to the centre in a white SEAT sports utility vehicle

The attacker was described as a white man in a striped top, who drove up to the centre in a white SEAT sports utility vehicle

A man has allegedly thrown a petrol bomb at a migrant processing centre in Kent, with fears of a potential loss of life.

A man has allegedly thrown a petrol bomb at a migrant processing centre in Kent, with fears of a potential loss of life.

Emergency services rush to the scene of the fire at the migrant processing centre in Dover, Kent

Emergency services rush to the scene of the fire at the migrant processing centre in Dover, Kent

The man later drove to a nearby garage where he took his life, according to eyewitnesses

The man later drove to a nearby garage where he took his life, according to eyewitnesses

A police cordon remains outside the nearby petrol station, where the alleged arsonist is understood to have taken his own life

A police cordon remains outside the nearby petrol station, where the alleged arsonist is understood to have taken his own life

A fire crew attends the scene of a suspected attack on a migrant processing centre in Dover

A fire crew attends the scene of a suspected attack on a migrant processing centre in Dover

A Home Office spokeswoman said: ‘We are aware of an incident at Western Jet Foil, Dover and police are in attendance.

‘It would not be appropriate to comment further at this stage.’

Kent Police were called at 11.22am today to The Viaduct, where ‘two to three incendiary devices’ had caused a fire.

‘One minor injury was reported and the suspect has been identified and located,’ a spokesman said.

Police said they were unable to confirm reports that the suspect had died and said inquiries are ongoing.

Government figures show almost 1,000 migrants arrived in the UK via the port yesterday after crossing the Channel.

Huge lines of people thought to be migrants could be seen waiting to be processed at the Border Force compound in Dover, Kent, as a total of 990 arrived.

Nearly 40,000 have arrived in the UK so far this year after attempting the treacherous trip from France, crossing the world’s busiest shipping lanes in dinghies and other small boats, provisional figures show.

It is the highest number of arrivals in one day for a number of weeks, with more crossings taking place on Sunday morning.

The highest number in a single day was set on August 22 when 1,295 people arrived in the country.

It comes after an immigration watchdog said he was left ‘speechless’ by conditions at the Manston migrant processing centre in Kent, and warned the site has already passed the point of being unsafe.

A group of people thought to be migrants at the migrant processing centre in Dover

A group of people thought to be migrants at the migrant processing centre in Dover

Dozens of people were spotted being evacuated from the compound after the fire broke out

Dozens of people were spotted being evacuated from the compound after the fire broke out

Kent Fire and Rescue Service outside the Port of Dover Cruise Terminal, close to the camp where the fire occurred

Kent Fire and Rescue Service outside the Port of Dover Cruise Terminal, close to the camp where the fire occurred

People arriving at a migrant processing centre shortly before the suspected arson attack in Dover

People arriving at a migrant processing centre shortly before the suspected arson attack in Dover

Chief inspector of borders and immigration David Neal told MPs earlier this week that Manston was originally meant to hold between 1,000 and 1,600 people, but there were 2,800 at the site when he visited on Monday, with more arriving.

The revelations prompted the Refugee Council to call for ‘urgent’ action and request a meeting with ministers to discuss proposals for tackling the problems.

Migrants are meant to stay at the short-term holding facility, which opened in January, for 24 hours while they undergo checks before being moved into immigration detention centres or asylum accommodation – currently hotels.

The Sunday Times reported Home Secretary Suella Braverman has been accused of failing to act on legal advice received at least three weeks ago which warned migrants were being detained for unlawfully long periods.

A Home Office spokesperson said: ‘The Home Secretary has taken urgent decisions to alleviate issues at Manston and source alternative accommodation. Claims advice was deliberately ignored are completely baseless.

‘It is right we look at all available options so decisions can be made based on the latest operational and legal advice.

‘The number of people arriving in the UK via small boats has reached record levels, which has put our asylum system under incredible pressure and costs the British taxpayer millions of pounds a day.’

Cabinet minister Michael Gove said the situation at Manston is ‘deeply concerning’, but he denied the Home Secretary ignored or dismissed legal advice.

‘The situation in Manston is not what it should be,’ he told Sky News’s Sophy Ridge On Sunday programme.

‘Everyone acknowledges that. We have more than 2,000 people there at the moment.’

The Liberal Democrats have called on the Government to publish the legal advice reportedly ignored by Ms Braverman.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

How Miles Teller Totally Broke Royal Protocol Meeting Prince William and Kate Middleton Mila Kunis Reveals Why She and Ashton Kutcher Don’t Close Bathroom Doors at Home With Kids Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson Were Engaged for 9 Months Before Paternity Lawsuit Selena Gomez Speaks Out About Kindness After Hailey Bieber’s Tell All Interview Shane Warne’s child, Jackson, shares recordings of ‘harmful ladies despising’ powerhouse Andrew Tate: ‘I really do concur with a couple of the things he says’ Kate and William to greet Americans ‘sleeping on the streets’ amid US visit ‘He said “take your bra off”… I was 15’: Supermodel Kate Moss reveals in unflinching detail how she fled a photoshoot in tears after being targeted by fashion industry predator as a teenager How to get early access to the MultiVersus open beta – usnewspress Gunman kills 3 people in Indiana mall shooting, police say Top 10 sizzling sex secrets to Spice Up Your Sex Life Stellantis Announces Termination of Jeep Venture With China’s GAC Memphis police thwart potential mass shooting at arena: Officials 4 dead after argument between 2 groups leads to shooting at north Harris County apartment complex, sheriff says US soprano, offended by blackface, pulls out of Italy opera 10 Top Romantic Getaways in New Jersey Ricky Martin’s Attorney Says Allegations of a Sexual Relationship with His Nephew Are ‘Untrue’ 8 Best Semiconductor Stocks To Buy Amid a Global Chip Shortage : USA Le’Veon Bell Reflects on Lost Season With Steelers in Retirement Post Updates on Tiger Woods from Round 1 of The Open PETE ALONSOI’M DEALING W/ ‘PRETTY BAD PTSD’… Over March Car Crash