Two men arrested on suspicion of murdering Olivia Pratt-Korbel have been released on bail tonight, with police reissuing their appeal for information after the nine-year-old was shot dead in her home in Liverpool on Monday night.
Merseyside Police are yet again urging people to come forward with information so they can ‘bring those responsible to justice’.
Officers said they need to ‘build up a strong evidential picture’ after Olivia Pratt-Korbel’s killing and reiterated their appeal for information about a vehicle at the scene on the night of the shooting.
The police’s continued appeal on Saturday evening came as officers said that two men arrested have been bailed.
A 36-year-old man, from Huyton, was recalled to prison after breaching the terms of his licence.
Both he and a 33-year-old man, from Dovecot, were arrested on suspicion of murder and two counts of attempted murder.
Olivia was shot on Monday night after a gunman chased his intended target, who has been named as convicted burglar Joseph Nee, into the family home in Dovecot, also injuring the girl’s mother Cheryl, 46.
Olivia Pratt-Korbel, nine, was gunned down inside her family home after a balaclava-clad gunman burst in at night in pursuit of drug dealer Joseph Nee. Olivia’s mother, Cheryl, was also shot in the wrist and Nee was left seriously injured
Merseyside Police said in a statement: “Our investigation into Olivia’s tragic murder is ongoing and we still need people to come forward so we can build up a strong evidential picture and bring those responsible to justice.
“We are still appealing to anyone who saw a black Audi Q3 car in the days leading up to the shooting, or has any information about its movements after leaving Kingsheath Avenue on the night of the shooting.”
The force has previously released an image of a black Audi Q3, which has been seized and which they believe is the same car used to take 35-year-old Nee to hospital.
Two men arrested on suspicion of murdering nine-year-old Olivia Pratt-Korbel have been released on bail. Merseyside Police yesterday said one of the men, a 33-year-old from Dovecot (pictured being taken away), had been arrested on suspicion of two counts of attempted murder.
Merseyside Police released aerial footage that shows the moment that the first suspect, a 36-year-old man, was arrested in the Huyton area on suspicion of murder
Assistant mayor of Liverpool Harry Doyle said people had come forward in the days since the murder, because they ‘want to see justice’ for the little girl and her loved ones, and that the arrests had brought “a sense of hope and relief”.
Meanwhile, a £500,000 package of support announced by the Home Office ‘doesn’t touch the sides’ and what the community affected in Liverpool needs is ‘long-term solutions’, Mr Doyle said.
Earlier today, Liverpool football fans have paid tribute to Oliva, as police today said they ‘need names’ to support their investigation.
Supporters at Anfield applauded during the ninth minute of the Premier League match against Bournemouth, to commemorate the nine-year-old girl who was shot in her own home on Monday.
Liverpool claimed their biggest ever Premier League win in a deeply appropriate 9-0 win over the newly promoted side.
Yesterday both Liverpool and Everton football clubs left floral tributes on Kingsheath Avenue, where Olivia was fatally shot.
‘Silence is not an option,’ the force added, as they asked people to get in touch with Crimestoppers if they know anything that might help Olivia and her family ‘get justice’.
This was echoed by the stadium announcer Peter McDowall during the Liverpool game, who also urged fans to come forward with any information they might have.
The night before, the 36-year-old man, from the Huyton area, was arrested on suspicion of Olivia’s murder, and two counts of attempted murder, after an operation involving armed officers – just five hours after the nine-year-old’s family begged anyone who knew her killer to turn him in.
They said in an emotional statement: ‘If anyone knows anything, now is the time to speak up. It is not about being a ‘snitch’ or a ‘grass’ it is about finding out who took our baby away from us. PLEASE DO THE RIGHT THING.’
Merseyside Police have today renewed their appeal for information about Olivia’s murder, saying ‘silence is not an option’
Residents of Birkdale Court described seeing officers from Merseyside Police’s Matrix organised crime unit storm a flat on the third floor at about 10pm
Football fans at Anfield applauded Olivia during the ninth minute of the Premier League match against Bournemouth in which the Reds went on to win 9-0
In their first statement since Olivia’s death, the family said she was a ‘unique, chatty, nosey girl’ who ‘loved life and all it had to offer’.
The arrest was about three miles from where Olivia was gunned down in her own home by a masked hitman on Monday. She was shot in the chest after the balaclava-clad gunman and former heroin dealer Joseph Nee – whom he was trying to shoot – barged into her home.
The innocent family had no connection to the gangsters and Olivia’s mother Cheryl had only opened the front door after hearing the commotion outside. She desperately tried to barricade it shut but was shot in the wrist by the bullet that then hit her daughter. Two more bullets were fired into Nee, 35, before the gunman fled.
Now Merseyside Police have renewed their campaign for information about Olivia’s murder, as well as the recent shootings of 28-year-old Ashley Dale and 22-year-old Sam Rimmer.
Yesterday former Liverpool FC player Ian Rush (right) and ex-Everton player Ian Snodin added floral wreaths to the other flowers, balloons and teddies left in Olivia’s memory at the police cordon
In their first statement since Olivia’s death, the family said she was a ‘unique, chatty, nosey girl’ who ‘loved life and all it had to offer’
On Thursday police arrested a man and a woman in connection with the fatal shooting of council worker Ashley Dale.
Ms Dale – described as ‘beautiful’ and a ‘shining light’ by devastated family members – was gunned down outside a property in the Old Swan area of the city on Sunday.
She was shot in the back by a gunman while in the back garden of the property in what is believed to have been a case of ‘mistaken identity’.
Thugs are thought to have burst through the door of her £70,000 three-bedroom terraced home, where she ‘lived largely on her own’, and sprayed bullets inside.
Police were called by neighbours reporting the sound of what they thought were gunshots or fireworks, and officers found graduate Miss Dale in the back garden.
Merseyside Police believe the property was purposefully targeted, but Miss Dale was not the intended victim. She was treated at the scene but died later in hospital.
A car was found with flat tyres outside, with police saying it was used by Miss Dale and registered to her family. The vehicle has now been removed to be examined.
Ms Dale, a graduate of Liverpool John Moores, was the sister of 16-year-old Lewis Dunne, who was gunned down on a canal towpath in 2016.
Her death is the third fatal shooting in Liverpool in less than a week, and it comes 48 hours after council worker Ashley Dale was killed
Ashley Dale, 28, was gunned down in her home in Old Swan, Liverpool on Sunday. Police do not believe the two murders are linked
Meanwhile, three men have been arrested and subsequently released on bail following the shooting of Sam Rimmer, 22, who was killed in Dingle, Liverpool, last Tuesday.
The 22-year-old was given CPR until paramedics arrived and he was taken to hospital, where he died.
Two men in dark clothing were seen fleeing the scene on electric bikes. Merseyside Police said a ‘number of shots’ were fired.
Sam Rimmer was shot dead last Tuesday, before two men fled the scene on electric bikes
Mr Rimmer’s death was the first murder involving a firearm in Merseyside in more than a year, after Patrick Boyle was killed last July.
Mr Rimmer was described in tributes as ‘an amazing young man’, with his killing branded ‘senseless.’
A series of five loud bangs were reportedly heard when Mr Rimmer was shot.
It is not clear if Mr Rimmer was the intended target of the shooting.
Detective Chief Superintendent Mark Kameen said it was ‘a despicable attack’ and the victim’s family were ‘desperately trying to come to terms with their loss’.
‘We need to find those responsible, and I would ask members of the public who may have information which could help us bring those people to justice to put themselves in the shoes of Sam’s family and think about what they are going through and the pain this has caused them,’ he said.
‘If you live in the area, or were passing through at about 11.40pm on Tuesday, you may have seen something that could be vital for us and I would urge you to get in touch.’