Teenager claims he was raped at hotel for refugees while another child was ‘sexually assaulted’
An illegal immigrant, who was put up in a hotel at the taxpayer’s expense, was jailed for nine years today for raping a drunken woman during a night out.
Ablolom Okbazge, 27, was put behind bars for exploiting the ‘paralytic’ victim’s condition to lure her to a fire escape before subjecting her to an hour-long sex ordeal.
At the time the Eritrean national had been resident at a Brittania Hotel in Standish, near Wigan, Greater Manchester which had been housing asylum seekers under a Government scheme.
It comes as a teenage boy was allegedly raped at a London hotel where roughly 400 refugees are currently being housed.
An alleged sexual assault against a child is also said to have taken place in the same facility in Walthamstow.
Both incidents, which took place within weeks of each other, are being investigated by the Metropolitan police.
A 17-year-old has been charged with one count of sexual touching of a child under 13 and a man in his 30s was arrested following reports of a rape, Met police said.
A teenage boy was allegedly raped at a London hotel where roughly 400 refugees are currently being housed and a child was reportedly sexually assaulted. Met police confirmed two arrests have taken place
Ablolom Okbazge, 27, has been jailed for nine years for raping a drunk woman on a night out
In response to the alleged rape and sexual assault at a London hotel, a Home Office spokesperson said: ‘It would be inappropriate to comment on an ongoing police investigation.
‘We work around the clock with the police and local authorities to ensure the children in our care are safe.’
Bolton Crown Court heard that Okbazge’s attack last Christmas occurred just weeks after complaints that migrants staying at the hotel had been harassing local schoolgirls by filming PE lessons at their high school causing parents to stopping their daughters from going out.
Okbazge was convicted of rape after a trial in which jurors and the victim were condemned to watch CCTV footage which captured of the assault.
The illegal immigrant had been staying in a hotel near Wigan at the tax payer’s expense
The asylum seekers were housed in the hotel under a scheme run by the Home Office and Serco
He is expected to be automatically deported when he is freed early in six years but the court heard there could be delays if he fought the decision. It was not disclosed when he arrived in the UK and whether he had filed a claim for asylum.
The incident occurred on December 18 after the woman who cannot be named had been out on an all day pub crawl with friends.
By the early hours she had become separated from her friends and was said to be ‘paralytic’ and ‘falling over’ drunk.
Okbazge had been to visit a friend in Wigan and stayed on to have a drink in local bars.
He spotted the victim in a ‘heavily inebriated state’ as he walked down the street and was seen to have changed direction to accost her. He forced her to a staircase at the back of a pub where he repeatedly forced her into intercourse in different positions.
After the attack the pair went to a cab rank when she got a taxi. The taxi driver said she so was drunk she tried to pay her fare twice when she got home and later that day after a few hours sleep she told her sister she might have been sexually assaulted.
She mistakenly said she thought the attack occurred in an alleyway over just a few minutes.
The court heard Okbazge was brought up in Eritrea and was said to have a ‘difficult childhood’ after his father was killed when he was young
In a statement read to the court, the victim said: ‘What happened to me will stay with me for the rest of my life. I am constantly breaking down crying regularly especially when I think about what happened. It always invades my day to day living and creeps into my mind at some point every day – no matter how hard I try to stop it.’
The court heard Okbazge was brought up in Eritrea and was said to have a ‘difficult childhood’ after his father was killed when he was young. He left school at 13 and worked on a farm before coming to the UK.
Sentencing him Judge Tom Gilbart said Okbazge was responsible for ‘a brutal piece of criminality’.
He said: ‘Once you had encountered your victim, you were determined to achieve your aim. You used force to take advantage of her vulnerability and the court was required to watch footage of what happened on a number of occasions.
‘The attack on that staircase was prolonged and sustained and you were with her for over an hour and stopped her getting away.
‘It would have been obvious to anyone seeing this lone extremely drunken woman that she needed help – yet your reaction was to take her to a secluded spot where you used force to rape her in a prolonged and deeply unpleasant attack.’
Okbazge was also ordered to sign the Sex Offender Register. The asylum seekers were housed in the hotel under a scheme run by the Home Office and Serco.
The issue of housing migrants in hotels has been hotly debated following criticisms of over crowding and unsafe facilities such as Manston Detention Centre – where an estimated 4,000 people stayed last night despite its 1,600 capacity.
Home Secretary Suella Braverman is visiting Dover today as pressure mounts on her to get a grip on migrant chaos and overcrowded centres.
Yesterday Albania’s Prime Minister Edi Rama accused the Home Secretary of ‘finding scapegoats’ when ‘failed policies’ are to blame for the migration crisis.
Ms Braverman has previously described such accommodation as ‘nice hotels’ that cost up to £150 per person a night.
The Guardian reported that Grace Williams, the leader of Waltham Forest council, has written to Braverman about the lack of safeguarding at the London facility.
Williams said the hotel, which the council does not want to identify, is not suitable for long-term use.
She said: ‘We have continuously expressed our view that accommodating families with children in contingency hotels is detrimental to children’s wellbeing. It is now evident that it is a risk to their safety too.’